St Stithians College is a circuit of the Central District of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa.
The College’s Statement of Spirituality gives expression to our Methodist ethos which underpins and shapes the values of St Stithians. Religious Education forms part of the school curriculum.
The Church stations five chaplains to minister at St Stithians, with allocated responsibilities across the schools. Reverend Elroy Kekana is the current Superintendent Chaplain.
The campus is graced with a beautiful chapel, with its striking stained glass windows designed and installed by the artist Paul Blomkamp. Students and staff participate in weekly worship in the chapel.
During the 1990s an outdoor chapel was built and this, together with a nearby labyrinth, combines with the chapel to provide opportunity for spiritual contemplation and growth.
The founders of St Stithians College in the 1950s were committed and active Methodists. The creation of the St Stithians College Trust in 1941 included the Presiding Bishop and the District Bishop of the Methodist Church as trustees.
Since the earliest days of the College, the Methodist Church and the school have been connected in a close relationship, with the Church’s representatives playing an important role in the St Stithians College Council.
One of the founders, Gilbert Tucker, had been educated at Kingswood College in Grahamstown, a Methodist school founded in the 1890s, and was inspired to establish a similar school in Johannesburg.
Alongside the large number of schools associated with the Methodist Church during South Africa’s 19th and 20th centuries, St Stithians has a particular affinity with Kingswood College, with Epworth School in Pietermaritzburg, with Kearsney College in Durban, and with Penryn College in Nelspruit. During the past decade, St Stithians has also been associated with Healdtown College in the rural Eastern Cape.
Click to view the: